Extreme Measures Planmine™ Help Desk
About Us
Sign In / Up

Extreme Measures

This help desk is a free resource intended for discussion purposes only. Neither BOMA, its chapters, affiliates, or Extreme Measures Inc.® are responsible for the information, comments or opinions expressed herein. For complete information, refer to the official publications of the standards themselves.

FAQ & Read-Me Articles
BOMA for Office Overview
BOMA for Industrial Overview
BOMA for Retail Overview
BOMA for Multi-Unit Residential Overview
BOMA Mixed-Use Overview
BOMA Gross Areas Overview
IPMS for Office Overview
Alternative Methodologies
Glossary of Industry Terms
What are as-built drawings / models?
What is CAD and BIM?
How do I resolve an area dispute?
Where can I get measurement standards publications?

Calculating rentable square footage for a single tenant, single story office building

Robert Bouchard
Pizzagalli Properties, LLC
March 6, 2024

When measuring for a single tenant occupied, single story office building. Do you measure to the inside or outside of the exterior wall?

David Fingret
Extreme Measures Inc.
March 7, 2024

Hi Robert,

It is common to use the BOMA Gross Area Standard for single tenant office buildings, which measures to the outside of the exterior wall, but all parties must agree to its use. It is also common to apply the BOMA Office Standard which measures to the vertically dominant inside finished surface.

Ultimately, this depends on what the lease agreement states.


Your Comments ...

Please allow up to 24 hours for your question to appear after it is reviewed.