Extreme Measures Planmine™ Help Desk
About Us
Sign In / Up

Extreme Measures

This help desk is a free resource intended for discussion purposes only. Neither BOMA, its chapters, affiliates, or Extreme Measures Inc.® are responsible for the information, comments or opinions expressed herein. For complete information, refer to the official publications of the standards themselves.

FAQ & Read-Me Articles
What are as-built drawings / models?
What is CAD and BIM?
How do I resolve an area dispute?
Where can I get measurement standards publications?
BOMA Office Overview
BOMA Industrial Overview
BOMA Retail Overview
BOMA Multi-Unit Residential Overview
BOMA Gross Areas Overview
BOMA Mixed-Use Overview
IPMS for Office Overview
Alternative Methodologies
Glossary of Industry Terms

Break Room in a Single Tenant, 1-story building

Brad Zubrick
Conn Architects
April 7, 2020

In method A food service facilities are considered building amenity area. From what I can tell Break Rooms aren't really explicitly defined in A or B with the exception of inter-building method. What should a break room be considered as in a single Tenant, 1-story building. Which methods of calculation are better suited towards a single Tenant 1-story buildings.

David Fingret
Extreme Measures Inc.
April 8, 2020

Hi Brad,

In a single tenant, 1 story building we would recommend using Method A. There would be no real advantage to using Method B because you can't average out the load factor across multiple floors. The standard specifically states that for a single tenant building, all Service Areas are Building Service Area and all Amenity Areas are Building Amenity Amenity area. You just have to determine whether the Break Room is Tenant Area, Building Service Area or Building Amenity Area. To determine this, you should read the descriptions and definitions of each carefully. In general, if the Break Room is completely under the Tenant's control, we would allocate as Tenant Area. If it's not under tenant's control, you need to determine if it's Permanent or Non-Permanent in nature. If it's Permanent (unlikely to be changed), then it's Building Service Area. If it's non-permanent (could be easily changed / converted to Tenant Area) then it's Building Amenity Area.

Either way, the allocation will make no difference to the rentable area of the building, but it will impact the Load Factor.


Your Comments ...

Please allow up to 24 hours for your question to appear after it is reviewed.