Extreme Measures Planmine™ Help Desk
About Us
Sign In / Up

Extreme Measures

This help desk is a free resource intended for discussion purposes only. Neither BOMA, its chapters, affiliates, or Extreme Measures Inc.® are responsible for the information, comments or opinions expressed herein. For complete information, refer to the official publications of the standards themselves.

FAQ & Read-Me Articles
What are as-built drawings / models?
What is CAD and BIM?
How do I resolve an area dispute?
Where can I get measurement standards publications?
BOMA Office Overview
BOMA Industrial Overview
BOMA Retail Overview
BOMA Multi-Unit Residential Overview
BOMA Gross Areas Overview
BOMA Mixed-Use Overview
IPMS for Office Overview
Alternative Methodologies
Glossary of Industry Terms


michel sakal
GKC Architectes
January 31, 2020

1. Are laboratories (bio-chemistry / chemistry / generic labs with fume hoods etc.) considered as industrial space?

2. Assuming there are administration offices attached, does the 51% rule apply - ie, if 60 % of the space is admin. and the other 40% is lab, do I then use the office measurement standard?

David Fingret
Extreme Measures Inc.
January 31, 2020

Hi Michel

Here's what the current BOMA Industrial standard says:

BOMA recommends that when the occupancy of a building
has fifty-one percent (51%) or more area devoted to offices
the building owner/manager should utilize The BOMA Office
Standard, ANSI/BOMA Z65.1-2010. When the occupancy
of the building is fifty-one percent ( 51%) or more dominated
by non-office users (including ground floor retail) that the
Industrial Standard should be utilized. In buildings that are
designed as flex space, where the mix of occupancy might
change often among industrial, office and retail uses, BOMA
recommends application of this Industrial Standard regardless
of the current mix of occupancies.

We would also consider the architecture of the building though. There are many lab spaces in office buildings and we would generally not apply the industrial standard to a building that is clearly an office building.

Your Comments ...

Please allow up to 24 hours for your question to appear after it is reviewed.