Extreme Measures Planmine™ Help Desk
About Us
Sign In / Up

Extreme Measures

This help desk is a free resource intended for discussion purposes only. Neither BOMA, its chapters, affiliates, or Extreme Measures Inc.® are responsible for the information, comments or opinions expressed herein. For complete information, refer to the official publications of the standards themselves.

FAQ & Read-Me Articles
What are as-built drawings / models?
What is CAD and BIM?
How do I resolve an area dispute?
Where can I get measurement standards publications?
BOMA Office Overview
BOMA Industrial Overview
BOMA Retail Overview
BOMA Multi-Unit Residential Overview
BOMA Gross Areas Overview
BOMA Mixed-Use Overview
IPMS for Office Overview
Alternative Methodologies
Glossary of Industry Terms

Mixed Use Standard

Ken Epstein
Ken Epstein
September 23, 2017

My building is a restaurant on the ground floor plus three floors of offices above. Should the rentable square footage of the restaurant be calculated using the exterior walls?

David Fingret
Extreme Measures Inc.
September 24, 2017

Hi Ken,

It sounds like it is a restaurant in a building that is primarily an office building. If that's the case, you should use the BOMA Office Standard for the entire building. The measure line of the restaurant may differ depending on which office standard you use and whether there is a street frontage or public pedestrian thoroughfare condition applicable (BOMA 1996, BOMA 2010). In the new BOMA 2017 Office Standard, the measure line would be the same as any other office space (vertically dominant inside finished surface).


Your Comments ...

Please allow up to 24 hours for your question to appear after it is reviewed.