Extreme Measures Planmine™ Help Desk
About Us
Sign In / Up

Extreme Measures

This help desk is a free resource intended for discussion purposes only. Neither BOMA, its chapters, affiliates, or Extreme Measures Inc.® are responsible for the information, comments or opinions expressed herein. For complete information, refer to the official publications of the standards themselves.

FAQ & Read-Me Articles
What are as-built drawings / models?
What is CAD and BIM?
How do I resolve an area dispute?
Where can I get measurement standards publications?
BOMA Office Overview
BOMA Industrial Overview
BOMA Retail Overview
BOMA Multi-Unit Residential Overview
BOMA Gross Areas Overview
BOMA Mixed-Use Overview
IPMS for Office Overview
Alternative Methodologies
Glossary of Industry Terms


Dennis Alexander
Dencor Realty inc
March 21, 2016

In a multi-unit residential condominium building please confirm the starting point for measurements to determine square footage of a condo unit. Where is the starting point between units. Does a unit owner own half the concrete block wall between the units or is the concrete wall part of the common area?

Specifically I am trying to determine responsibility for maintenance of the internal studs and drywall attached to a common wall between two condo units.

Thank you for your help.

David Fingret
Extreme Measures Inc.
March 21, 2016

Hi Dennis,

I am not sure what you mean by a starting point for measurements. There are various techniques to accurately measuring the physical area of space and the best starting point will vary from property to property.

For the purposes of determining the Living Unit Area, you should measure to the centerline of the demising wall between residential units.

The BOMA residential Standard does not get involved with determining maintenance responsibilities.

Your Comments ...

Please allow up to 24 hours for your question to appear after it is reviewed.