Extreme Measures Planmine™ Help Desk
About Us
Sign In / Up

Extreme Measures

This help desk is a free resource intended for discussion purposes only. Neither BOMA, its chapters, affiliates, or Extreme Measures Inc.® are responsible for the information, comments or opinions expressed herein. For complete information, refer to the official publications of the standards themselves.

FAQ & Read-Me Articles
What are as-built drawings / models?
What is CAD and BIM?
How do I resolve an area dispute?
Where can I get measurement standards publications?
BOMA Office Overview
BOMA Industrial Overview
BOMA Retail Overview
BOMA Multi-Unit Residential Overview
BOMA Gross Areas Overview
BOMA Mixed-Use Overview
IPMS for Office Overview
Alternative Methodologies
Glossary of Industry Terms

Abutting wall at property line

Alan Lehman
Lehman Design Studio
April 20, 2015

I have measured several spaces that are for retail use. These are distinct buildings but they are in a city block where building abut on each side.

1.For the abutting wall would I go to an assumed exterior wall line (which would be the property line in these cases) or would I demise a wall thickness and go to the center line?

2. In looking at the diagram on p.32 of the retail standards it shows the leasing line to a common area making the leased space wall dominate. Would this also be true for a bathroom and kitchen area that is central to 2 tenants and shared?

3. As it is with office standards, for retail would the vertical penetration walls be dominant?


David Fingret
Extreme Measures Inc.
June 24, 2015

1. The area should go to the outside face of the exterior wall of each distinct building.
2. Yes, so long as the bathroom is being considered as common area.
3. Yes.

Your Comments ...

Please allow up to 24 hours for your question to appear after it is reviewed.