Extreme Measures Planmine™ Help Desk
About Us
Sign In / Up

Extreme Measures

This help desk is a free resource intended for discussion purposes only. Neither BOMA, its chapters, affiliates, or Extreme Measures Inc.® are responsible for the information, comments or opinions expressed herein. For complete information, refer to the official publications of the standards themselves.

FAQ & Read-Me Articles
What are as-built drawings / models?
What is CAD and BIM?
How do I resolve an area dispute?
Where can I get measurement standards publications?
BOMA Office Overview
BOMA Industrial Overview
BOMA Retail Overview
BOMA Multi-Unit Residential Overview
BOMA Gross Areas Overview
BOMA Mixed-Use Overview
IPMS for Office Overview
Alternative Methodologies
Glossary of Industry Terms

BOMA Office vs. BOMA Retails Standards

Amanda Conforti
Barry Padolsky Architects
August 28, 2014

Hi there.

We are architects in Ottawa, and we were asked by a client to calculate a tenant's Rentable Area.

The building in question is two storeys high. The ground floor is occupied by a bank; and the second floor is partly occupied by the bank, and the remaining space has been recently leased to a 24-hour fitness centre. There is also a shared exit corridor leading to the ground floor exit. We are unsure whether we should be using the Office or Retail Standards to calculate the area for the fitness centre.

Thank you in advance,

Amanda Conforti

David Fingret
Extreme Measures Inc.
September 2, 2014

Hi Amanda,

Use the Retail Standard if the building is over 50% occupied by retail tenants. Use the Office Standard if the building is over 50% occupied by office tenants.


Your Comments ...

Please allow up to 24 hours for your question to appear after it is reviewed.