Extreme Measures Planmine™ Help Desk
About Us
Sign In / Up

Extreme Measures

This help desk is a free resource intended for discussion purposes only. Neither BOMA, its chapters, affiliates, or Extreme Measures Inc.® are responsible for the information, comments or opinions expressed herein. For complete information, refer to the official publications of the standards themselves.

FAQ & Read-Me Articles
What are as-built drawings / models?
What is CAD and BIM?
How do I resolve an area dispute?
Where can I get measurement standards publications?
BOMA Office Overview
BOMA Industrial Overview
BOMA Retail Overview
BOMA Multi-Unit Residential Overview
BOMA Gross Areas Overview
BOMA Mixed-Use Overview
IPMS for Office Overview
Alternative Methodologies
Glossary of Industry Terms

Single Occupant Restaurant Lease Area

Ray Boltz
LMA Architects
January 2, 2014

I am more familiar with BOMA Office measurements, and need to know what differences would be necessary to determine the rentable area of a single occupant restaurant, where the building is separate and not part of a mall. For example, is the IGA still applicable?

Adam Fingret
Extreme Measures Inc.
March 14, 2014


Sorry for this delayed answer. We had a glitch with our system and your question slipped through the cracks.

The first thing to understand is that the Retail Standard does not differentiate between retail building types (though it does describe them on page 14), so a big box or outparcel retail building is calculated according to the same methodology as an enclosed shopping mall.

The second thing is that the BOMA Retail Standard bears little resemblance to it's office counterpart. Neither "Rentable Area" nor "IGA" are associated with the Retail standard at all. Instead, the Retail Standard uses Construction Gross Area, Exterior Gross Area, and Gross Leasable Area as it's key metrics.

Your Comments ...

Please allow up to 24 hours for your question to appear after it is reviewed.