Extreme Measures Planmine™ Help Desk
About Us
Sign In / Up

Extreme Measures

This help desk is a free resource intended for discussion purposes only. Neither BOMA, its chapters, affiliates, or Extreme Measures Inc.® are responsible for the information, comments or opinions expressed herein. For complete information, refer to the official publications of the standards themselves.

FAQ & Read-Me Articles
What are as-built drawings / models?
What is CAD and BIM?
How do I resolve an area dispute?
Where can I get measurement standards publications?
BOMA Office Overview
BOMA Industrial Overview
BOMA Retail Overview
BOMA Multi-Unit Residential Overview
BOMA Gross Areas Overview
BOMA Mixed-Use Overview
IPMS for Office Overview
Alternative Methodologies
Glossary of Industry Terms

Redevelopment From Residential to Commercial

Guest User
November 9, 2009

If a former 5-storey residential building with two independent entrances is reconstructed to an office building, how shall this office building be calculated according to the Standard? Each flat became an office.

(Please, see the sample picture for reference http://www.inforealt.com/web/images/plan_tipo.gif)

Actually, each level of the building consists of two independent parts, which are not connected. However, the whole building has common electrical and heating rooms.

The problem is:

The ground floor lobbies shall be BCA. But Tenants and visitors of one part of the building never use ground floor lobby of the other part of the building. The same problem with the typical level lobbies of both parts of the building. They shall be defined as FCA, but it will not be fair to share their areas among the Tenants of all the Level. Two parts of the Building are absolutely isolated.

Please, advise, BCA and FCA must be defined in this building according to the Standard.

Adam Fingret
Extreme Measures Inc.
November 9, 2009

BOMA 96 does not address this kind of split-building scenario. BOMA allows for a single Floor Common Area allocation per floor and likewise, there is only one Building Common Area per building. There are a couple of ways to deal with this:

1. Calculate strictly to BOMA 96 and allow your tenants to proportionately share all common areas normally regardless of who specifically uses what. In the case of your building, this seems reasonable as the two halves of the building are more or less mirrors of each other. This should create a fairly equitable distribution of Floor Common Area over the floor plate. Building Common Area will be allocated over all tenants either way.

2. We sometimes introduce a 3rd common area type that we call Private Common Area. We allocate Private Common Area to 2 or more tenants who are sharing the amenity exclusively. We usually gross-up Private Common Area by Floor Common and Building Common before allocating it to tenants. This creates a rather complicated area chart, but it works.

3. Treat the building as two distinct buildings and produce 2 BOMA charts, allowing each it's own common area calculations. You could then use a simple calculation to factor in the shared electrical and heating rooms. We would usually call this Complex Common Area or Campus Common Area.

It is important to note that options 2 and 3 are not specifically supported by BOMA, so you are stepping outside the framework. This practice is usually referred to as Modified BOMA. We cannot comment on whether this is appropriate for your leasing scenario, however we do believe that as long as modifications are well documented and that all leasing parties agree upon their implementation, that Modified BOMA can be a good solution to complicated leasing scenarios.

Your Comments ...

Please allow up to 24 hours for your question to appear after it is reviewed.