Extreme Measures Planmine™ Help Desk
About Us
Sign In / Up

Extreme Measures

This help desk is a free resource intended for discussion purposes only. Neither BOMA, its chapters, affiliates, or Extreme Measures Inc.® are responsible for the information, comments or opinions expressed herein. For complete information, refer to the official publications of the standards themselves.

FAQ & Read-Me Articles
What are as-built drawings / models?
What is CAD and BIM?
How do I resolve an area dispute?
Where can I get measurement standards publications?
BOMA Office Overview
BOMA Industrial Overview
BOMA Retail Overview
BOMA Multi-Unit Residential Overview
BOMA Gross Areas Overview
BOMA Mixed-Use Overview
IPMS for Office Overview
Alternative Methodologies
Glossary of Industry Terms

BOMA measurement

Tim Margolian
Sixeight Realty Group
July 10, 2013

for a strip retail building with second floor office what is the correct measurement standard to use? is it boma retail or boma mixed use? Is it appropriate to allocate interior common area to a self contained strip retail tenant who has no direct access or use of any interior common area?

David Fingret
Extreme Measures Inc.
July 11, 2013

Hi Tim,

If Common Areas are not shared at all, there will be no MUCA (mixed use common area) so you would simply use the retail standard for the retail portion and the office standard for the office portion.

If there is MUCA, then you should use the mixed-use standard.

Your Comments ...

Please allow up to 24 hours for your question to appear after it is reviewed.